What is Part-P and why is it important?


Building regulations relating to domestic dwellings are made up of various ‘Parts’, for example Part-F relates to Ventilation and Part-L relates to the conservation of fuel and power.

Part-P relates to electrical safety in domestic dwellings and came into force on the 1st January 2005.

Since January 2005 all electrical work done in a domestic dwelling in England and Wales must comply with Part-P of the building regulations. Whilst some minor work can be carried out by homeowners and none Part-P certified persons, more significant work  or  in some instances,  work in certain areas such as  lofts, kitchens, bathrooms and swimming pools (designated as areas for special consideration) must be either done by a Part-P certified electrician or by another competent person and then inspected by the Local Borough Council Building Control Inspector at additional cost.

The easiest route for most householders or landlords to ensure compliance if in doubt, is to have a Part-P certified electrician do the work in a domestic dwelling. This way the householder or landlord is assured of work that complies with Part-P and BS7671 (Wiring Regulations) and the work is guaranteed by the certifying body.

Electricians gain Part-P accreditation by being accepted as members of one of the certifying organisations. Applying for membership involves a half day assessment during which the candidate must demonstrate a number of pre-requisite qualifications and theoretical knowledge of various scenarios. There then follows at least one site visit where on site competence and quality of workmanship must be proven. Thereafter, all Part-P certified electricians are assessed annually in a similar process. Various changes to wiring regulations may mean attendance at update courses and further examinations.

Failure to comply with Part-P could result in a fine of up to £5000 or invalidating your buildings insurance.  Anyway, why would you want to take the risk?

The above information is not comprehensive and is provided as a guide, more detailed information can be found at: http://electrical.theiet.org/building-regulations/part-p/index.cfm

Before having any work done on your home why not read the local government leaflet entitled ‘Building work, replacements and repairs in your home’