Your let

Who's responsible for the electrical safety of your let?

As a landlord did you know that you are liable for any short comings in the safety of your properties irrespective of whether a third party has issued a certificate for the gas or electric safety of the property?

In the past a landlord could simply waive a certificate at an investigating authority. However, now the landlord must ensure that any electrical certificate is valid, has been issued by an accredited person and is fit for purpose.

Some organisations will issue an electrical safety certificate on which a number of vital tests have been omitted. Look for the tell tale ‘LIM’ (Limitation) or ‘N/A’ (Not Applicable). Ask the electrician or inspector why LIM or N/A has been applied to certain circuits. Make sure that this isn’t the inspectors way of saving time on site as he hasn’t priced to do the full set of tests that should normally be done.

You could end up for paying for an electrical certificate that has no value and makes you liable!


Multiple Occupancy Lets and Fire Regulations

Fire detection for HMO's is much more stringent than for a house or apartment let to a single family or person. Refer to the Private Sector Housing Officer for your area to establish what is required by the local authority. Non compliance can result in a hefty fine.

As a rule HMO's require as a minimum a mains powered, battery backup linked system, which will include sensors and alarms in each bedroom as well as kitchen and exit routes. Battery operated individual units are not generally accepted.

If in doubt about the fire protection in your let or your electrical certificate requires renewal please contact David on 0788 17862780788 1786278 or 01625 26112201625 261122.